At long last — the community of my dreams! Sunnybook Farm is a humble little online space I’ve created on the social media platform Discord, a place for Filipinos who love stories — the reading of stories, the writing of stories, and everything in between. It is an 18+ community. Casual readers are more than welcome, as long as they know their way around a book. Discord newbies are also welcome, as long as they are open to learning how to use a new platform that looks like Facebook Messenger on steroids.
Join the Sunnybook Farm community on Discord here.
And though it may seem too late in the year to be beginning such an activity, Sunnybook Farm comes with its own Reading Challenge for 2021. It is our hope that a reading challenge would encourage folks to expand their horizons in literature and cultivate a healthy reading habit — in a fun and sociable way. Server members and non-members alike are invited to try this challenge by selecting stories that fit the nine (9) prompts. The challenge need not be limited to books: participants can go with essays, poetry, audiobooks, graphic literature, fan fiction, flash fiction, novellas, and so on. Human creativity is the only limit.
- Into the Books: Read a story where the main character travels to a faraway place. [Variation: Read a story that comes with a map.]
- Electric Boogaloo: Read any sequel or continuation in a series.
- Legal Age: Read a debut work from any author and genre, not necessarily released in 2021.
- 🌻🌩: Read anything from Shut Up, Shealea’s highest-recommendation shelf on Goodreads.
- Truly Asia: Read anything by an Asian author. [Hard mode: Read anything by an Asian author that was released in 2021.]
- 🌿☕️: Read anything from Your Tita Kate‘s recommendation-all-time-faves shelf on Goodreads.
- One-Sapanataym: Read any story with a one-word title (and “the” is already counted as one word).
- Power of Friendship: Read anything from a friend’s to-be-read pile, want-to-read shelf, or reading list. [Medium mode: Swap selections with a friend instead of just picking out from their list.]
- Hue Hue Hue: Read a story with a color in the title.
- This Reading Challenge runs until December 31, 2021. Sign up by leaving your reading list in the Comments section below, or by posting your list in the Sunnybook Farm server.
- Use the hashtag #SunnybookFarm when posting anything challenge-related, to make it easier for us to identify and support your posts.
- Link back or give credit to this post whenever necessary.
- Reading Challenge bingo cards are available for both Twitter (1600 x 900 px) and Instagram (1080 x 1080 px).
This is my first time initiating something this momentous and this much beyond me. I am excited to hear from all of you in the coming months!